Ajoy had been asking me to prepare vada paav or batata wada since long time.. And I thought there is no better day to prepare this than his bday :) So here is what we had for our breakfast today morning.
1/2 cup bason
4 Green Chillies
1/4 spoon Garlic Paste
1/4 spoon Ginger Paste
A pinch of Eating Soda
1/4 spoon Mustard
1/2 spoon Turmeric Powder
1/2 spoon Red Chilli Powder
- Boil the potatoes
- Grind the green chillies, garlic paste, ginger paste to form fine paste
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces.
- Add the ground paste, lemon juice to it and mix well
- Heat little oil, add the mustard, let them sputter and then add the half of the turnmeric powder
- Add this oil to the potato mixture and mix well.
- Prepare 6 round and little flat balls out of this mixture.
- In a small vessel, mix bason, red chilli powder, remaining turmeric powder, eating soda and prepare thin batter
- Heat oil in a pan, add 2 spoon of heated oil to the batter
- Dip the potato ball in the batter and fry it in oil
- Cut the pav in half, put the garlic chutney and wada in it and serve hot
The batter coating on the potato vada shouldn't be thick otherwise the wada won't taste good. Mix more water if its too thick.
We are adding heated oil to the bason because that will make vada less oily.. Making use of soda instead of oil will make it very very oily.
Potato Vada can be served separately with sauce as well. (Without paav)
1/2 Dried Coconut
10-12 pieces of Garlic
4 spoon Red Chilli powder
1-2 pieces of Tamarind
1/2 spoon Sugar
Salt to taste
- Grate the coconut
- Heat a pan and fry the grated coconut till golden brown in colour
- In a mixer, first grind garlic pieces, red chilli powder, sugar, salt
- Add the tamarind and grind again
- Now add the coconut and grind to fine powder
You can save this chutney for few days. It tastes nice with bhakari as well.