Yesterday I thought of preparing mung daal halwa but then ended up cooking mung daal vadi.
1 Cup Mung Daal
3/4 Cup Ghee
1/4 kg Khoya
2 Cup Sugar
2 Cup Milk
Almonds to garnish
- Soak the daal in water for 4-5 hours
- Grind the daal in a mixer to form fine paste
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the mung daal paste on low flame
- Once the daal turns golden brown, add the milk and cook till the mixture becomes thick
- Add the khoya and cook for a while
- Add te sugar and cook on low flame till mixture is thick and sticky
- Grease the plate and put the mixture on it. Spread it evenly and garnish with almond pieces
- Cut into rectangular pieces and serve
Frying the mung daal on low flame is important, as mungdaal will get burnt quite quickly.