I don't even remember now how I came up with this, may be it was when I was trying to come up with lighter cake, but it was instant success. I have made this so many times and recently almonds with white chocolate with lemon cream I got from Costco reminded me of this taste. Cant wait to make this one again. One of the lightest and fluffiest cake I have made.
1.5 Cup - 1.5 tbsp. maida
1.5 tbsp Corn Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1.5 Cup + 1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C
- Sieve through maida, corn flour, baking soda, salt and 1.5 cup of sugar together
- Separate egg whites from yolk.
- Beat egg whites till they are foamy
- Add in cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks are formed
- Add in remaining 1 tbsp. of sugar and beat till hard peaks are formed. Keep aside
- In a bowl beat egg yolk, zest of both the lemons, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, oil, vanilla essence and 2/3 cup of water together.
- Add in the sieved flour mixture and beat till smooth
- Fold in egg whites 1/3 at a time very gently till all the mixture is incorporated.
- Grease 8.5inch loaf pan and pour the cake batter in it.
- Bake in oven at 325F/165C for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and let it cool.
To measure maida and corn starch, first measure 1.5 tbps of corn flour and add it to the bottom of the cup and then add in more maida till it is 1.5 cup. You can instead use cake flour 1.5 cup instead of these two ingredients but maida and corn starch mixture is replacement for the same.