Sheetal Kamat

This weekend when Seema arrived, I planned to try this cake on her and ended up baking this for her and her inlaws :) Thankfully it turned out good and was so nice that it got over in just one serving :)

Date And Walnut Cake
Ingredients
2 Cup Seedless Dates
1 Cup Walnut pieces
1.5 Cup Maida
1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/4 Spoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Spoon Baking Powder
1/4 Spoon Eating Soda

Method
  • Wash the dates and chop them into small pieces
  • Mix dates, walnuts, 1/4 spoon baking powder, eating soda and 4 spoon of water. Keep it overnight
  • Next day morning, beat the butter and sugar together
  • Beat the egg in separate bowl
  • Mix little egg, litte maida and little dates and walnuts mixture at a time. Continue till all maida, eggs and date-walnut mixture is completely mixed into the butter-sugar mixture
  • Mix the lemon juice and 1/4 spoon baking powder
  • Mix it with the cake batter.
  • Heat the oven to 200C
  • Prepare the pan for baking the cake by coating it with butter, puting a butter paper of the size of the bottom of the vessel on it and applying butter again to the paper. Pour the cake batter in the pan
  • Bake the cake in microwave + convection mode at 180W and 180C for 30 minutes

Notes
The batter was little thick so I added around 3-4 spoons of warm water in the batter just before pouring it into the pan

8 comments:
  1. Ajoy Nandi said...

    very nice :) ... Lets go on a "date" with the Walnut cake. How about the title of this post as "DATE" with Walnut cake !


  2. LOL :) but let this be there, dont want to be too inovative there :P


  3. Unknown said...

    Hi Sheetal, I tried this past weekend. It turned out to be tasty but I think it would have been better if the cake had risen more. It was more like a "date and walnut bar" then the cake :-)Probably I didn't put enough baking soda or baking powder. Can I sugggest something? Can you please mention the "measure" of the spoon i.e. 1 teaspoon or 1 table spoon instead of just 1 spoon? I think that will give more clarity to the recipe and novices like me don't have to guess :-) Other than that, keep it up!! will give you feedbacks as and when I try more recipes. Thanks a lot for finding time and posting them!!


  4. Hi Aparna, infact I always get confused with tea spoon and normal spoon size so i normally use only one measurement of spoon and cup. I think i need to post the sizes of the cup and spoon here. Will do that soon. Hope that will help you.

    About the cake, probably the right temperature setting in the oven is also something i can think off that would go wrong. That everybody has to experiment and find the right setting for the own microwave. I did lots of "Bar/cookie kinda" experiments with all right measure of ingredients for cake and then one day got the correct mode of the oven = microwave 180W + convection 180C. I strongly feel thats something might be the cause of bar :)


  5. Unknown said...

    Oh...I see. Ok, a teaspoon is 5 ml. and a table spoon is 15 ml. or = 3 tea spoons. In a layman's terms, "koshimbiricha chamcha" is a table spoon :-). I used the measure for baking soda and baking powder as the equivalent of 1/4 or 1/2 of the teaspoon. Was it right? And I used the conventional oven - under the cooking range at 180C. Usually I bake the cakes with a cake mix and hence don't face these issues :-) But the cake mixes don't come in such exotic contents...no matter what...the taste was really good and I and my husband enjoyed the "bar" :-)


  6. Aparna, I figured out my spoon size is teasoop size :) = 5ml :) and Cup size is 125ml which is half the normal one. I never baked cake in conventional oven. I bake it in microwave + oven mode. That gives me softness as well as crispyness outside. So not sure if 180C Baking is enough or not. Try reducing or increasing the power. I asked my mom and she mentioned if the size of vessel is also not big enough or its too big the cake wont rise properly. Normally the contents should be 1/2 to 2/3 full in the vessel so that cake rises really well.


  7. Unknown said...

    Thanks so much Sheetal! I guess 180C was ok since I bake my other cakes(baked from the mix) or muffins at that temp. However, I guess the cup size I used was more than the one you have mentioned. That's may be why. Thanks so much for updating the recipes with the measurements of your spoon and cup, that will help a lot. Now I am going to try a few more recipes of yours and of course this cake with improved measures!! Will get back to you with the result :-)


  8. Unknown said...

    Welcome to Gelato Supply Australia's leading manufacturer and supplier of
    Gelato pans, cones, spoons, ice cream scoop freezer, pan liners and much more.


Related Posts with Thumbnails