Lot of friends had been asking for easy breakfast recipies.. I mean some simple yet tasty day today breakfast recipies. So here I am posting recipe for simple yet delicious maharashtrian breakfast/snacks.. This item is so common that whenever people get unexpected guest or there is "Ladaki Dikhana" program at ones place this is must :)
2 Cup Pohe
1/2 Cup Muttor
A pinch of Turmeric Powder
1/4 Spoon Mustard
1/4 Spoon Jeera
4 Green Chillies
4 Spoon Grated fresh Coconut
4 Spoon Corriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Wash the pohes and drain out excess water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and let mustard and jeera splutter in it
- Add chopped green chillies and fry for a minute
- Add onions and cook them till they are translucent
- Add turmeric powder and cook for a minute
- Add washed poha and muttor in it adn mix well.
- Cover it and cook for couple of minute
- Open the lid, mix well, add salt to taste and again cover and cook covered for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with grated coconut and finely chopped corriander leaves and serve
Washing pohes and keep aside at first is important. It gives enough time for pohas to soak in the washed water to become soft. If you find your pohas are not enough soft just sprinkly little water before covering and cooking. But I never needed this if I washed them at first place. Dont forget to remove excess water. Washed water is just enough for them to be perfect soft.
Instead of muttor you can add groundnuts in the oil before adding pohas and fry them well. These are also tastier and ajoy's favourite. But authentic pohas are with muttor :) and I love them that way.
You can also add 1/2 cup potato cubes in oil and cook them before adding Pohas to it to get Kanda(Onion) Batata(Potato) Pohe :)