When we were in Bangalore, KFC was our favorite joint. We also have couple of stories that took place in the KFC :) So quite a lot of memories. But since we came here, we haven't been to KFC once, though MacD is regular joint instead. But the fried chicken is something that went missing from our meal since then. So today I knew what I wanted to cook. I was earlier thinking of frying boiled chicken but then decided against it after a second thought. Bing just confirmed my thoughts :)
5 Chicken Leg Pieces
3/4 Cup Maida
5 Spoon Bread Crumbs
1 Spoon Red Chili Powder
1/4 Spoon Oregano
1/4 Spoon Pepper Powder
1/4 Spoon Corriander Powder
1/4 Spoon Garlic Paste
Salt to taste
- With a sharp knife, give slits to the chicken pieces
- In a warm bowl of water, add 1/2 spoon red chili powder, oregano and pepper powder with salt.
- Add the chicken pieces and soak them in it for an hour.
- In a bowl, beat egg with garlic paste, remaining half spoon red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
- In another plate mix maida with bread crumbs and salt.
- Take out the chicken pieces out of water and drain the water.
- Dip each leg piece in egg mixture to coat it completely and then in maida mixture to cover it with maida coating.
- Heat oil to medium high.
- Add each leg piece and fry till golden brown in color.
Soaking the chicken in water, tenderizes it a bit adding to the taste. I used mild spices to soak them in instead of dipping it in plain water.
I fried chicken on medium high heat instead of very high or very low. That helped me get the chicken that wasn't too dark in color and yet it was completely cooked.
I made extra bread crumbs while making Paneerbhara Kabab and stored them in air tight container. You can refer to it for how to make bread crumbs.