Few days back I made 'Khatakhata' - a special mixed vegetable dish from konkani cuisine. It needs pumpkin and I looked for it through all grocery stores, super markets, indian stores but every one said its out of season. But Wholes food had canned pumpkin and I thought of giving it a try. But when I opened the can I found that it was mashed one and not cubed ones. So I couldnt use that in the khatkhata. (Yes recipe will come for it when I cook it next time as this time I forgot to take pics). Then I was looking for all pumpkin recipes that can use puree of Pumpkin and found that cupcakes use them. So finally after reading lot I came up with this my version. Once it started baking it spread so much of aroma that I just couldnt wait for them to get ready. What a nice way to eat Pumpkin :)
2 cup Pumpkin Puree
3 Cup Maida
1 Cup Butter
1.5 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Castor Sugar
2 Spoon Baking Powder
1/2 Spoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Spoon Cinnamon Powder
1/2 Spoon Cloves Powder
1/2 Spoon Nutmeg Powder
1/4 Cup Almond Sliced
1/2 Spoon Pistachio Essence
- Sieve through Maida, baking powder, baking soda few times.
- Mix Nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder and cloves powder. Keep aside
- In a bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and castor sugar together untill mixture is fluffy and sugar is completely mixed
- Add in each egg at a time and beat them into the mixture.
- Now add the sieved maida-bakingpowder mixture little at a time till completely accomodated. Stir with a spatula and dont use blender here.
- Add milk and mix well. Mixture will thin down a little
- Add pumkin puree and pistacheo essence and mix gently using the spatula
- Mix in the almonds except few to decorate in the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Grease the cup cake trays and fill in the mixture upto 3/4th level in each cup
- Garnish with remaining almonds
- Bake in the oven on 350F/180C for 20 minutes. Knife inserted should come out clean.
If you are using fresh pumkin, just steam the pumkin and then mash it in mixie. I guess that should work too.
Made around 16 medium sized cup cakes