I have seen quite a few people buy the readymade dosa or idli batter. But I guess I dont like the taste. There is nothing as good as compared to home made stuff. And Idli is something very very easy to prepare. You just need to plan a day ahead thats all it takes. Rest is easy.
1 Cup Udid Daal
2 Cup Idli Rawa
Salt to taste
- Soak Udid Daal and Idli Rawa for atleast 8 hours.
- Strain the water from the Udid Daal and grind it in the mixie to fine paste.
- Strain water from the idli rawa and grind it to fine paste too.
- Mix rawa paste and udid daal paste well and keep aside for atleast 8 hours
- In the morning, mix in salt really well
- Heat the water in a cooker - without lid
- Grease the idli pan and add the idli mixture in there.
- When the water in the cooker starts to boil put the idli stand into the cooker and cook for around 10-12 minutes on high flame with lid closed but no whistle.
- Open the cooker and let the idlis cool down a little. Separate idlis from the pan and serve with chutney/sambar
Here since everything is AC and we maintain low temperature, I did keep the mixture on top of hot water container at night. That works perfectly well.
Dont forget to remove the cooker lid immeidately after idli is done so that the vapour doesnt cool down inside the idli making it moist