Today I decided to try puran poli as well.. Puran poli came up well except its sides which didn't have any puran but i guess with 2-3 more trials i might be able to prepare the puran poli as nice as my mom does.. But anyways with the remaining puran i made these fried modaks which my dad loves..
1 cup chana daal
1/2 cup jaggery
4 spoon heaps wheat flour
2 spoon heaps maida
- Cook daal in the cooker and remove the water from it
- Heat a pan and add the cooked daal and jaggery.
- Cook it for around 5-7 minutes to form puran - our filling for the modak
- Make dough by mixing wheat flour, maida, 1 spoon of hot oil and water
- Keep aside for half an hour to hour
- Make small balls of the dough and roll them to form thin rotis of puri size
- Add the puran we had prepared earlier and close the modaks by making few plates at the top
- Deep fry the modak on medium heat
These modaks are prepared of puran so that they can stay for 2-3 days.
Fry the modak at top side really well otherwise the cover might remain half cooked as its kind of thick because of plates