I had got this recipe from mom like 10 months back but finally gave this a shot today. It turned out as good as mom makes. Its one of my fav preparation of bhendi and am sharing it here.
1/2 Kg Okra
1.5 Cup Grated Coconut
1/2 Spoon Saunf
1/4 Spoon Mustard
1/4 Spoon Garam Masala
3/4 Spoon Red Chili Powder
1 Cup Curd
A Pinch of Asafoetida
A Pinch of Sugar
Salt to taste
- Wash okra and slice it vertically into halves.
- In a bowl mix curd, grated coconut, 1/4 spoon of saunf, red chilli powder and garam masala
- Heat oil in a pan and add in mustard seeds and remaining 1/4 spoon of saunf. Let them splutter
- Add in Asafoetida, sliced okra and earlier made coconut-curd-masala mixture in it. Stir well
- Cover the pan and add water on the lid. With few stirring in between let it cook till almost done.
- Add in sugar and salt and stir again. Cover the lid and cook till completely done.
This vegetable is best when the Okras are fresh and tender. The hard ones are difficult to cook and not as tasty either.