Sheetal Kamat

I like black pepper a lot. Not powdered one but whole ones or the crunchy ones, like in papad. Since we moved here, I have been having only garlic papad instead of the spicy one that I normally like. Blame it to Ajoy ;-) for he likes that one or on me that I am bored to serve two different varieties to both of us. But then yesterday I said - that's about it. I have to have those black pepper by hook and crook and that's how this recipe came up :) It was huge hit and I am going to make it again sometime soon.

Whole Spices Veggie Pulav
Ingredients
2.5 Cup Rice
2 Cup Cauliflower florets
2 Raw Bananas
1 Medium sized Eggplant
1 Potato
1 Cup Mutter
1/2 Spoon Black Pepper
1/2 Spoon Jeera
4-5 Cloves
4-5 Cardamom
A pinch of Saffron
Salt to taste
Oil
Ghee

Method
  • In a pan bring water to boil and add rice. Cook the rice over high flame, with constant stirring till its done.
  • Strain remaining water from the rice and keep the rice aside.
  • In another pan, heat oil and fry cauliflower florets, egg plant pieces and raw banana slices. Keep aside.
  • Fry mutter for a second and keep them aside too.
  • Grate potato and fry them making in chunks to get crispy hash brown like chunks. Keep them aside too.
  • In another pan, heat ghee, add cloves, cardamoms, black pepper, jeera and let them splutter.
  • Add rice, fried cauliflower, eggplant and banana slices. Stir it and let is cook for couple of minutes.
  • Heat a spoon and add saffron crushing it a bit. After it starts sending nice aroma, mix in rice lightly.
  • Add in salt and stir for another minute. Serve by garnishing it with fried muttor and crispy potatoes.

Notes I wanted rice to be white and yet give that saffron filled rich aroma and hence I didnt put it while making rice but added it at last minute. I used black pepper in abundance as you already know the reason about it too :) but i didnt use much of cardmom or cloves, because I do add it to some of the vegetables or chicken/mutton dishes and also because I dont like them as much as black pepper :) So adjust spices according to your taste. The above portions worked wonders for me and right now enjoying even during lunch while writing this. yummy.

3 comments:
  1. Pulav looks colorful and yummy.


  2. Ajoy Nandi said...

    the jhiri jhiri aloo bhaja transformed it completely :)


  3. thanks madhuri, it indeed was yummy and quick preparation would mean i am going to be making it frequently :)

    Ajoy, i know you like anything with jhiri jhiri aalo thats why I added it :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails