Ma's specialty and one thing we always demand when we go to Pune. :) Its been a while since I took this recipe from her, infact I had made it earlier too but it hadn't come out as nice as she makes. This time it was quite close and I thought it would be perfect time to post it.
2 Cup Maida
1 Cup Wheat Flour
3 Cup Muttor
1/4 Spoon Jeera
1/2 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
- Mix in maida, wheat flour, salt to taste and 1/2 cup oil.
- Add in water and make dough. Keep aside.
- Cook potato in the pressure cooker and keep it to cook.
- Cook muttor with some water for 2 minutes in microwave.
- Drain the water from the muttor and grind it in mixie
- Once the potato cools down, grate it.
- In a pan heat 1 spoon of oil and add jeera. Let it splutter
- Add in grated potato, muttor paste, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Cook till the paste dries up and becomes a dry ball. Let it cool down
- Take a lemon sized ball of the dough made and press it to make a cup shape. Add in the half sized muttor-potato ball and seal it.
- Roll it just like puris and fry in hot oil. Serve with pickle.
The trick is to make the dough of right consitency - not too hard not too soft and the perfect to seal it after the feeling.
Also roll the balls to the puri's thickness - just a bit thicker to get the best results.