I was on lookout for something more like pound cake yet not something plain for Ajoy's birthday celebration. He enjoys plain cake more than anything so something based of that yet something more richer would make perfect for the occasion. I wanted to either use lemon or orange especially after seeing all these food networks making use of their zest. So when i found a recipe for this cake in one of the books i have, i modified it bit to his taste and came up with this.
3 Cup Maida
1 Cup Almonds
1.25 Cup Pistachios
2/3 Cup Sliced Almonds
2 Cup Sugar
1 + 1/3 Cup Butter
1.25 Spoon Baking Powder
1/3 Spoon Salt
1 big Lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- In a bowl, blend butter and 1.5 Cup sugar together till smooth
- Sieve together maida and baking powder 3-4 times.
- Add it to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Add in eggs, salt, zest of the lemon and 1/2 cup of warm water and blend till smooth.
- Fold in chopped apricot, 1 cup almonds powdered and 1 cup pistachios chopped.
- Line the loaf pan or any other cake pan you want to use with parchment paper on bottom as well as sides and spoon all the batter in it.
- Put remaining pistachios and sliced almonds over the mixture and press it lightly over the cake.
- Bake the cake in oven for 75 minutes on 180C/350F, covering the top with foil after around 50 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, over medium heat with constant stirring, cook lemon juice of the lemon with remaining sugar till sugar dissolves completely an mixture bubbles up slightly.
- Pour the mixture over the cake and then take out the cake on wire rack to let it cool completely.
Covering the top midway into baking helps not overcooking the nuts and burning them. The lemon-sugar syrup adds the flavor as well as a little moistness to the cake.