I had been making this for a while now, but its only yesterday that I actually managed to click the photos. So here I am posting this recipe, esp for all my vegetarian friends who are craving for Biryaani.
3 Cup Rice
250g Small Eggplants
2 Raw Bananas
2 Spoon Pudina Leaves
10 Garlic Cloves
2 Spoon Grated Ginger
1/2 Cup Cashews
1/4 Cup Almonds
1 Spoon Dry Coconut
1/2 Spoon Poppy Seeds
2 Dried Red Chillies
1/4 Spoon Saunf
1/4 Spoon Black Pepper
1 Spoon Jeera
1 Spoon Corriander Seeds
3/4 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
1 Spoon Garam Masala
1/4 Cup Milk
A Pinch Of Saffron
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook 2 potatoes
- Soak rice in warm water for half an hour.
- Soak poppy seeds and keep aside
- Fry the whole egg plants, bhendi, peeled and diced bananas, 2 potatoes, and carrots and keep aside.
- Boil a pot full of water and add in the soaked rice. Cook till almost done Let the extra water drain completely through sieve.
- Heat a spoon of ghee and add in cardamoms, a cinnamon stick, cloves and salt. Add it to the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add in finely chopped 2 onions. Fry till translucent and keep aside.
- In same pan heat another spoon of oil and add in jeera, red chillies, coriander seeds, black pepper, saunf, dried coconut, cinnamon, 1/4 cup cashews and almonds.
- Add in garam masala, red chili powder, poppy seeds, pudina leaves and earlier fried onions. Cook till spices start spreading aroma.
- Let the mixture cool down and then adding the chopped tomatoes grind it to fine paste.
- Heat the ghee and add in the ground mixture. Fry till oil separates
- Add in all fried vegetables and salt to taste and cook for couple of minutes. Keep aside.
- Warm the milk with safron and keep aside.
- Deep fry the thin sliced onions and cashews till they are crisp and light brown in color. Keep aside
- In a greased cooker layer the sliced boiled potatoes, then 1/3rd of rice, 1/2 of vegetable, again 1/3rd portion of rice, remaining half of the vegetable and remaining portion of the rice.
- With big spatula make through and through wholes in the layer and sprinkle the safron milk.
- Let the cooker sit on low heat till the pressure builds up. Garnish with the earlier fried crisp onions and cashews. Serve hot with raita.
Instead of cooking vegetables in gravy i added fried vegetables to the gravy. The taste was awesome and i could make sure that none of the vegetables are underdone or overdone.
I also wished I had those baby potatoes instead and could use them whole deep fried instead of diced ones.