This is one of Ajoy's favorite sweet, which is simple to make, yet I had trouble making it given that its so difficult to set curd out here. I tried so many times, so many different ways and it did work few times but results weren't consistent. But now that I have learned the exact trick that works here, I made this perfect sweet.
1.5 Liter Milk
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Curd
- Bring milk to boil.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and keep the milk boiling till it reduces to around 1 liter in volume. Stir continuously to avoid burning
- At this moment keep reducing milk, but also in another bowl add in remaining 3/4cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of water and let it boil
- When the sugar water turns dark golden in color, reduce the heat of boiling milk and add the sugar mixture into the milk.
- Boil the milk for another 5 minutes and let it sit till it is warm to touch
- In a bowl add curd and add a cup of earlier made browned and sweetened milk. Mix well.
- Add in remaining milk, mix well and cover with the lid and let it set overnight
- Let it chill in fridge for couple of hours. Serve cold
Here to make the right quality curd, I keep the curd pot inside the casserole (the one which keep items hot) and then keep the casserole into the oven with the light on. Note that i dont preheat oven nor it is on whole night. Just the light is on, the casserole helps in maintaining the temperature while light keeps giving enough warmness to sustain it.
While adding the caramelized - brown colored sugar syrup be careful and add it slowly as the temperature differences make it suddenly splutter out and might burn your hands.
You can also set it in individual bowls and serve each bowl directly.
Try to use whole milk for better results. To make my life easier I used 1 liter of Half and Half. I didnt have to reduce the milk quantity that way.