Its been long time since ajoy had been asking me to prepare mutton biryani. But mutton is not my liking and hence I had been conviniently ignoring it. Then it was that fine day that I wished his grant :) and prepared it. It turned out quite well.
3 Cup Rice
1/2 Kg Mutton Pieces
1/2 Cup Curd
1/4 Cup Milk
A Handful of Cashews
1 Ginger Stick
10-15 Garlic Cloves
1 Spoon Garam Masala
2 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
A Pinch of Turmeric Powder
1 Spoon Corriander Seeds
1 Spoon Poppy Seeds
1.5 Spoon Black Pepper
1/2 Spoon Jeera
1 Spoon Saunf
1 Spoon Dry Coconut
2 Bay Leaves
A Pinch of Saffron
1/2 Cup Ghee
Salt to taste
- Grind ginger and garlic to paste and keep aside.
- Wash mutton and add curd, turmeric powder, 1 spoon of red chilli powder, half of garlic ginger paste. Mix well and store it in the fridge for atleast 8 hours
- Next Day, Wash the rice and keep it in warm water for half an hour. Remove the excess water and keep aside
- Boil potatoes side by side, cut them in circular pieces and keep aside.
- Warm the milk and mix safron in it and keep aside.
- Chop around 3 onions into fine pieces and keep aside.
- In a pan heat around a spoon of oil and add the chopped onions. Cook till golden brown and keep aside.
- In same pan, heat another spoon of oil and add Jeera, 3 sticks of cinnamon, 5 cloves, 1 spoon of black pepper, corriander seeds, dry coconut, saunf, poppy seeds and remaining spoon of red chilli powder.
- Once the aroma starts coming out of this mixture, add the chopped golden brown mixture of onions in it.
- Add remaining ginger garlic paste to it and mix well and keep aside.
- Grind almonds, the cashews(8-10) that were kept aside and the above fried masala with little water to form paste. Keep aside
- Cut the 4 onions into thin slices and fry it in the ghee and keep aside.
- Keep aside around 8-10 cashews and fry remaining and keep aside.
- Keep aside around a spoon of ghee and transfer remaining ghee to the pressure cooker
- Add the masala paste that we kept aside to this ghee and fry till ghee separates from the paste.
- Add mutton pieces that were kept for marination in this with the marination leftover as well. Cook till ghee separates.
- Puree the tomato in the mixer and add it to this cooking mutton.
- Add around 1/4 cup of water and salt to taste and then cook the mixture on pressure.
- When complete pressure builds up, turn the flame to minimum flame and cook for another 10 minutes. And then remove the pressure cooker from the flame and keep aside to cool down.
- In the mean time, Boil around 10 cups of water and add salt to taste, rice and cook till rice is almost done.
- Remove the excess water from the rice and spread it in the plate to let it cool down.
- In a small pan heat a spoon of ghee(that was kept aside) and add remaining 3 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 spoon black pepper, bay leaves, cardamom. Fry till aroma comes and mix it with the rice and keep aside.
- Now transfer the cooked mutton from pressure cooker to the pan and cook on high flame till it is dry.
- Transfer the excess ghee from this cooked mixture that is now separated into small cup and keep aside.
- Take a pressure cooker(which has good height), Grease it with ghee and arrange the potato discs onto the bottom to cover the bottom completely
- Spread a layer of 1/3 of rice followed by 1/2 of cooked mutton, 1/3 of fried onions, 1/3 of fried cashews.
- Then add next layer of 1/3 rice, followed by another layer of remaining cooked mutton, 1/3 of fried onions, 1/3 of fried cashews
- Layer remaining rice on the top, followed by remaining onions and cashews.
- With the back side of the cooking spoon make 5-6 wholes in this layer biryani till bottom
- Spread the ghee separated out from cooked mutton stored earlier evenly over here. Also spread the milk-safron mixture evenly.
- Close the cooker with the lid, heat tawa and put this cooker on top of it. Cook on low flame for 15 minutes
- Serve hot :)
While serving, insert the spoon till bottom and get all layers in each servings to get the best taste for the serving :)