I had been wanting to try this for a while now. I made this almost two years ago for Diwali when mom dad were here. After that it just slipped out of radar so this time when Ajoy asked me to make these I was not sure if I will remember what I had done and the learning's from the last time. But thankfully I had rough notes from then that I had sent to mom. So it was pretty easy to recollect. This time it came out perfectly and I did big photo session of them :) so I cannot find any excuse to not post this. This recipe has to be easiest to make and something that will get you lot of appreciation in return.
6 Cup Cashews
1 Cup Milk Powder
2 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Cardamom Powder
- Grind cashews into fine powder in the mixer
- Mix the cashew powder and milk powder together
- Heat tawa till very hot and then take off the heat
- Add the cashew and milk powder mixture into the tawa and keep stirring till the mixture is warm to touch. Keep aside in a bowl
- Heat 1.5 cup water with sugar to make 2 string syrup.
- Add in the cardamom powder and the sugar syrup in the cashew mixture and mix well. Knead to get the soft dough.
- On a baking pan or any big plate, lay out butter paper and put the dough and press it hard and spread the mixture.
- Apply the silver leaf and let the mixture cool for atleast couple of hours.
- Cut the kaju katlis and serve.
Getting the sugar syrup right and kneading well is one key for the success.
Also when spreading the mixture into a plate, pressing it hard and then smoothing it with butter paper will get you correctly set katli.