Since the time we started bringing Tilapia fillets, I have always grilled them. I am fish lover and its been a while since i had fish curry. Since i am trying to not eat too much coconut, I didnt want to make our traditional fish curry so I came up with this one. Turned out awesome. Reminded me of my favourite fish curry from Nandini restaurant in Bangalore that i use to have frequently around 10 years back.
1 Big Onion
1 Spoon Tamarind
1/2 Spoon Black Pepper
1 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Spoon Jeera Powder
1/4 Spoon Coriander Powder
1/4 Spoon Garam Masala
1/4 Spoon Turmeric Powder
4-5 Garlic cloves
1 Spoon Ginger
- Marinate the fish with 1/4 Spoon Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder and Salt.
- In mixie, add tamarind, onion and black pepper leaving 6-7 aside. Grind to fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in tawa and add in fish pieces. Let them cook for a minute.
- Flip the fishes and cook for another minute. Take out of the tawa and keep aside.
- In same oil add in onion paste and saute it till the raw smell from it goes away and you can only smell pepper in it.
- In mean time grind tomatoes, garlic, ginger in mixer and make paste.
- Add tomato paste, jeera powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, remaining black pepper and salt to onion and cook for 5 minutes with constant stirring.
- Add in fish and lightly mix everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.
I used cleaned boneless Tilapia fillets each cut into four pieces but you can use any fish in any form but boneless has its own fun :)