Sheetal Kamat

Well, I know its been long since I posted here but I was on a little break from cooking for few weeks. I was busy with work and tired to cook everyday. When I was in India, I use to get this rest when I use to go to pune almost everymonth. Both my mom and mother in law were sweet enough to feed me without doing anything at all :) God.. I miss those days.. Now I had to take this break and rely on MacD/Subway/TacoBell/Husband's cooking once in a while. But now I feel fresh and motivated for cooking again and foremost bored with all the above items.. So here is the new dish that I tried. The recipe is something that I just thought of giving shot and kept on adding ingredients as I felt like. But I am stunned at the outcome. So easy, nutritious and yet good looking dish.

Tri Colored Rice
Ingredients
9 Cup Almost cooked Rice
2 Tomatoes
Handful of Corriander Leaves
3 Handsful of Spinach
1 Green Chilli
1 Spoon Corriander Powder
1 Spoon Red Chilli Powder
1/4 Spoom Garam Masala
Roasted Cashews for garnishing
Ghee
Salt to taste

Method
  • Add salt in the rice, divide into three parts and keep aside.
  • In a mixie grind tomatoes to form the puree. Keep aside
  • Grind spinach, corriander leaves and green chilli adding minimal water in it. Keep aside
  • Boil the Spinach-corriander leaves puree and let it cook till almost dry and thick enough
  • Add corriander powder and 1 part of the rice in it and let it cook and dry completely.
  • Add couple of spoons of ghee and mix and cook for another minute. Keep aside.
  • Boil tomato puree
  • When the puree starts to thicken, add red chilli powder, garam masala and 1 part of the rice.
  • When the rice is done and dry sprinkle couple of spoon of ghee and keep aside
  • Arranage the rice parts in the rice dish and garnish with the cashews

Notes
When grinding spinach i added little water and only 1/3 of spinach at first. When it was pureed I added another part of spinach and pureed it. That saved me with using extra water and while cooking the spinach wasnt over cooked and didnt have to wait too long for it to thicken.
I boiled rice and when it was almost done, just removed the excess water and ran through cold tap water so that each grain separates out from each other.

4 comments:
  1. Raaga said...

    looks great! I should come over to your place, not do anything and have you feed me this rice.

    First time here, nice blog.


  2. Ajoy Nandi said...

    this is perfect dish for 26jan or 15 aug :) turned out really nice. We see something similar in TV serials where ppl wear tricolor sarees or kurtas but a tricolor dish was a pleasant surprize for me


  3. Milind said...

    echoing Ajoy's comment :)
    An Ashoka Chakra made from sliced vegetable or fruit will be like an icing on a cake :)


  4. Thanks everyone :)
    @Milind, Will surely try for the icing next time :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails